Get More Info

Financial Aid

While Mercy does not have special funds reserved for study abroad, grants and loans you receive—including  New York State TAP—during Fall and Spring semesters may be used to cover charges for study abroad only at overseas universities with which Mercy has a study abroad agreement. 

Work-study aid is not available for study abroad. If you plan to attend a winter or summer abroad program, loans may be the only available aid and may be deducted from your fall or spring financial aid package.

Once you decide on a study abroad plan, you may want to meet with the Office of Enrollment Services to discuss financial aid for the trip. Bring an estimate of the program costs with you.

Must-dos before Studying Abroad
  • File your FAFSA beginning January 1 for the upcoming year by the February 15 deadline.
  • Obtain letter of acceptance, a detailed academic program and a list of all program costs (including room and board) from the overseas university you are planning to attend. Present copies of these, along with the Study Abroad application, to your advisor or PACT counselor.
  • Submit the Study Abroad application to International Student Services.
  • Contact the Office of Enrollment Services to discuss how your aid will be disbursed while you are abroad, early December for spring programs and early May for fall programs.
  • Before you leave on the study abroad program, check with the Office of Enrollment Services to assure your financial aid will be processed smoothly.