Get More Info

Admissions Menu
Get More Info

Personal Information

Academic Information


International applicants whose primary language is not English are required to submit scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing Systems (IELTS). 

Required Minimum TOEFL, IELTS, and other accepted English Tests Scores for Admission:

  Undergraduate Graduate
TOEFL 71 80
IELTS 6.0 6.5
PTE 48 53
Duolingo English Test (DET) 100 105
EIKEN Pre-1 Not Accepted
GTEC 1140 Not Accepted


TOEFL/IELTS Waiver Policy
International applicants are eligible for a TOEFL/IELTS waiver under certain conditions, in which case they do not need to submit need to submit TOEFL/IELTS scores.

A TOEFL/IELTS waiver may be granted by demonstrating proof of English proficiency based on one or more of the following requirements:

  1. Applicants from the following countries:
American Samoa Anguilla Antigua
Australia Bahamas Barbados
Belize British Virgin Islands Canada
Dominica Gambia Ghana
Grand Cayman Grenada Guyana
Ireland Jamaica Kenya
New Zealand Nigeria Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Scotland St. Lucia
Singapore South Africa Swaziland
Tanzania Trinidad/Tobago Turks and Caicos Islands
Uganda United Kingdom U.S. Pacific Trust
Zambia Zimbabwe  


  1. Applicants who graduated from an American high school in the U.S. or abroad and completed two full years of regular English courses
  2. Applicants who completed 12+ credits at an American college or university in the U.S. or abroad with a cumulative GPA of a 2.0
  3. Applicants who have taken an English course at an American college or university with a grade of a "C" or better
  4. Applicants who have taken the SAT (although not required for admission) and received a 500 or better on the Critical Reading section
  5. Applicants who have completed the International Baccalaureate (IB) English B Standard Level (SL) and received a score of a 4 or better, or have an 80%/B average in English B HL/SL at the time of application
  6. Applicants who have taken the AP English Composition and Literature Exam and received a score of 3 or better
  7. Applicants from Sweden with a grade of VG ("C" on the new scale) or above in English
  8. Applicants from Norway with Level 4 or above in English
  9. Graduate applicants who have completed at least two consecutive years of post-secondary full-time study or completed a bachelor's or first master's degree at a U.S. institution
  10. Graduate applicants who have completed a degree in a country where English is the primary language and this degree is from an institution where English is the primary medium or instruction
  11. Applicants who have successfully completed an equivalent of B2 level on Common European Framework Reference (CEFR) for undergraduate and C1 level on CEFR for graduate programs through an approved English language school.


Mercy College reserves the right request additional documentation to determine a student's English language proficiency. Although it is rare that we request additional information, in doing so we hope to ensure your success at Mercy College. If you have any questions regarding the TOEFL/IELTS requirements, please contact International Admissions

What is a Foreign Academic Credential Evaluation (FACE)?

A foreign academic credential evaluation is a document that equates foreign degrees to American degrees using the American degree using the American grading scale and credit system. Since Mercy College receives applicants from around the world and has a relatively small International Admissions Office, we require or students to have their credentials evaluated for equivalency and authenticity. A credential evaluation will provide an American equivalent of the courses you have taken, your final average and your American degree equivalency. A credential evaluation ensures that your application will be reviewed fairly and under the same academic guidelines as your American peers.

Where can I get an evaluation?

Mercy College accepts evaluations from NACES or AICE members such as WES, Scholaro (Discount code: MERCY), IFCS (Discount code: DISNY), SpanTran, or any members of NACES / AICE.

What kind of evaluation do I need and what should I submit to the agency?

Freshman Course-by-Course Evaluation of foreign high school transcripts*
Transfer Course-by-Course Evaluation of foreign college transcripts, and, General Evaluation with GPA OR Course-by-Course Evaluation for foreign high school transcripts*
Graduate Course-by-Course Evaluation of foreign college transcripts
*If you have taken a secondary exam such as the GCSE and A-levelx, CXC, WAEC or a national secondary exam; please send your official scores to the evaluation company. 


Please arrange for the evaluation agency to send the evaluation directly to Mercy College and include copies of the official documents when available.

*If you have taken a secondary exam such as the GCSE and A-levils, CXC, WAEC or a national secondary exam; please send your scores to the evaluation company.

What is a Verification Pending evaluation?

If you submitted unofficial university transcripts to an evaluations agency, your documents will have to be verified by the evaluations agency for authenticity. This usually means that the evaluations agency will call or email your home institution to verify that you attended the university and the transcript you submitted is authentic. While Mercy College will accept unverified evaluations for an admissions decision, a verified evaluation must be sent to Mercy College by the middle of your fist semester to complete your application file; otherwise you will not be able to register for the next semester's classes. In short, an unverified evaluation is treated the same way an unofficial transcript from a college or university. It is the student's responsibility to contact their evaluation agency to send a verified evaluation to Mercy College by the required date.

Where should I send my transcripts - to Mercy College or to the evaluation agency?

Please have your transcripts sent directly to your evaluation agency. Mercy College does not require a copy of your foreign transcripts.

Where should I have my evaluation sent?

Please have your evaluation sent to our Student Services Support Center:

Student Services Support Center
Mercy College
2651 Strang Blvd.
Yorktown Heights, NY 10598-9910

Mercy College considers three-year Bachelor degree holders to be eligible for graduate-level study in some cases. This includes, but is not limited to, applicants from participating European Bologna Process countries and students from India who have completed a Bachelor's degree with Division I from an institution ranked "A" or higher by NAAC. If you have a three-year Bachelor's degree and have questions regarding your eligibility for graduate-level study, please contact International Admissions. 

Please note that certain graduate programs such as Public Accounting, Physician Assistant Studies, Physical Therapy and the graduate Education programs have specific pre-requisite and degree requirements that may affect your eligibility. Pre-requisite work as an undergraduate student may be required. Please check your program's website or contact International Admissions if you have any questions.

Required Admission Documents: All Students

All international applicants - undergraduate freshmen, undergraduate transfer and graduate applicants - must submit the following admission documents:

  1. Foreign Academic Credential Evaluation (and/or official American transcripts)
  2. TOEFL or IELTS Scores, or accepted proof of English language proficiency (if English is not your native language)

Please see the dropdown menus below for more information on how to obtain the required documents.

Application Requirements: Undergraduate

Mercy College requires that all applicants are in good academic standing at the time of their application. All students are encouraged to apply regardless of their GPA as Mercy College does consider other factors in the admissions decision such as extracurricular activities, professional experience and English proficiency.

Admission Requirements: Freshmen Students

Admission Requirements: Transfer Students

Admission Requirements: Graduate

Graduate applications are reviewed by the program director and may have additional admission requirements. Prospective graduate students should consult their program’s website for information on specific admission requirements and required supplemental documents. Graduate applicants should contact International Admissions or the program director if they have any questions. Prospective graduate students must be in good academic standing at the time of their application.